Depending on what area of the country you happen to live in, without air conditioning your life could be completely miserable. In fact, in many regions and states, life would be completely impossible without an air conditioner. There were no mass migrations of people from the North into the West and South, or Sunbelt as it is called, until the invention of mass-manufactured air conditioning.
If you would like your air conditioner to run for a long time, as well as efficiently and effectively, keep reading this article to learn about 10 energy-saving tips to help you do just that!
1. Programmable thermostat for climate control: If you are able to get a unit that can be programmed, then you can set your air conditioner to run somewhat warmer while you are away from home, or cooler during the night when cooling your home is easier. Just make sure things are kept comfortable for any pets you have.
2. Perform regular maintenance: Ideally your AC unit should have a checkup done every six months by professional technicians. Having it done in the spring and then the fall is a good idea so that it falls on either side of the hot season. For Singaporeans, their go to company is Billy Air-con servicing for their AC maintenance needs.
3. Clean the ducts out: Having the ducts in your home cleaned on a regular basis will clear out the crud and residue that disrupts the airflow and causes your unit to work harder than necessary.
4. Change the filter frequently: Depending on your house, it may be just every quarter or once a month. It has the same effect that duct cleaning does.
5. Your unit should be kept in the shade. If your outdoor unit has had, it will keep it cool much easier.
6. Protect your unit from wildlife: Use bushes and shrubs that are deer-resistant or that aren’t favorites of local creatures. This will help to prevent them from doing their business or nesting there.
7. Leave airflow around your AC unit: The trickiest part about using plants, shrubs and other items for shading your unit and protecting it against wildlife is you also need to have enough airflow around it as well. The hard it needs to work, the shorter its lifespan will be and the less effective it will be as well.
8. Consider retrofits and upgrades: If your unit is beginning to age somewhat, you don’t need to begin thinking about replacing it. When properly maintained, a decent should be able to run for 10 years or so. Also there continue to be advancements in air conditioning technology. However, those are not just on new units. Some of these can be retrofitted onto the system you have currently to increase its lifespan and performance.
9. Draw shade and run fans in hot rooms: Determine which rooms you use the most. To keep light out, close the curtains and run floor or ceiling fans to get cooling assistance from the evaporative effect. That can make a room feel like is is 8 degree F cooler than it really is.
10. Use dehumidifiers: The main ways that the air is cooled in your house by an air conditioner is through eliminating humidity out of the air. It mainly does that through removing both warmth and moisture simultaneously. However, if you happen to have a room that is especially difficult, like a bathroom or damp basement, the edge can be taken off of the room by a standalone dehumidifier. That way you won’t need to blast your entire house with air conditioning.
Now that you are aware of these 10 energy-saving tips to use with your air conditioner, any of them can be used that are applicable to your home to help lower your utility bills and extend the life of your AC unit. If you are experiencing problems that can’t be solved with preventive maintenance, you can always get Billy Aircon if you’re living in Singapore. They have top notch technicians and their website provides news on the industry regularly. Check them out right here: